Homemade mayo is one of the staples in our home. It is so simple to make and a great base for any sauce or dip!
It is currently the middle of Summer and our days seem to be busier than ever. Between garden chores and chasing toddlers, our days are busy to say the least. By the time we make it in for lunch from being outside, the last thing I want to do is stand in the kitchen for hours to prepare a meal for lunch or dinner. This is why I absolutely LOVE to always have some good ole homemade mayo on hand for quick lunches or even dinners. I can then quickly throw together any wrap, sandwich, or salad with ingredients from our own garden and bring it together with this mayo. We especially love to slather a homemade Sourdough tortilla with this mayo, pack it with raw cheese, and fry it in the cast iron skillet for a perfect quesadilla.
If you are wanting to try your hand at some easy from-scratch recipes, this is the place to start! All you need is a food processor or immersion blender for this recipe to work. I will say I have tried a blender and it does still work. So, if all you have is a blender, this recipe should still work out well for you.
There are several recipes out on the wide web for homemade mayo. I have not personally tried them all but I found this simple recipe when I was doing the Whole 30 diet years ago and it has stayed a staple ever since.
One of the reasons I love this recipe is that it is so customizable. For example, you can easily add some extra lemon juice and freshly minced garlic to this homemade mayo and turn it into a delicious aoli for hamburgers or sandwiches. The possibilities are truly endless for this base staple.
Now let’s get to what you need to make this easy from-scratch staple.
What Supplies You Need To Make Homemade Mayo
- Food Processor or Immersion Blender
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- Storage container, such as a pint sized mason jar ( This recipe will make just a bit over a pint of mayo)
Ingredients You Will Need To Make Mayo
- Avocado Oil
- Lemon or Lemon EO
How To Make Homemade Mayo
Begin by adding an egg and 1/4 cup of Avocado Oil to a food processor.
Secure the lid and blend for about 10 seconds.
Slowly add the remaining oil in 1/4 cup increments blending well in between to emulsify.
Once the mayo has emulsified and come together, add salt and fresh lemon juice to the food processor and blend well to combine.
Store in a container with a lid in the fridge for about 2 weeks or as long as the egg is good.
Enjoy in your favorite sauces or meals!
Some Ideas to Utilize Homemade Mayo
- Add garlic and extra lemon juice to create an aoli for a sandwich or burger.
- Slather the outside of homemade bread or tortillas with it and stuff the interior with cheese, meat, and other ingredients to fry and create a delicious grilled cheese or quesadilla.
- Use to make a homemade fry sauce or dip
- Add to balsamic and fresh herbs for a creamy salad dressing
- Use in potato salad to bring the recipe together
- Cook up a whole Chicken and add some mayo, celery, grapes, and nuts to make a yummy sandwich!
I’d love to hear some of your favorite ways to utilize mayo, leave a comment below!
More wholesome recipes from My Abiding Home:
- How To Cook and Utilize a Whole Chicken
- Homemade Einkorn Sourdough Berry Pop Tarts
- How To Make Cold Brew Coffee At Home
- How To Make Egg Salad | Easy Lunch Idea
- Food processor Immersion or regular blender will also work
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring spoon
- Storage container with lid
- 1¼ Cups Avocado Oil light Olive Oil will also work. Avoid EV
- 1 Egg, room temp Pastured preferred
- ½ tsp. Salt High quality Sea Salt or Himalayan preferred
- ¼ Lemon, juiced or 2 drops of CPTG Lemon Essential Oil
- In a food processor combine egg and ¼ cup of Avocado Oil. Blend well.
- In ¼ cup increments, add the remaining oil and blend well in between to emulsify.
- Add Salt and Lemon Juice. Blend well.
- Store in a container, such as a glass mason jar, for up to 2 weeks or until the egg goes bad.