Shea moisturizing DIY body butter recipe utilizes Essential Oils and Shea butter to keep your skin hydrated through the year. This is a must have recipe, especially for the Winter Season.
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and Oil Life Affiliate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases, at no extra cost to you.
Creating homemade body products is perfect for gifting or at home use. I have been in full nesting mode tying to finish up some homemade products for gifting. Handmade items such as linen hand towels, oven mitts, and aprons are a few of the items included in my gift baskets for family and friends. A handmade gift has so much value. Thinking of the labor that went into making the items makes me appreciate them so much more than something bought. DIY products, such as this shea butter, are perfect to make in large batches for gifting. My favorite part is that it makes it easy for living on a budget, especially for the holidays.
During Wintertime my skin suffers so bad. My hands tend to crack and bleed if I don’t give them some extra TLC. This homemade body butter recipe is perfect for the Winter months. It is quick and simple for even the beginner DIY person. To make it, you only need a few staple ingredients.
Save it for later!
Why use Essential Oils in homemade body butter?
The addition of CPTG Essential Oils adds wonderful benefits to your skin. I love using Wild Orange for the fresh and uplifting scent it gives to brighten up the Winter season. This recipe would also be relaxing when Lavender would be added instead of Wild Orange.
In addition to creating a wonderful aroma, adding Essential Oils to this homemade body butter recipe has health benefits as well. Wild Orange is a great oil to use to help with anxiety and feelings of stress.
DIY Shea Body Butter Tips
- Use CPTG Essential Oils in this recipe to ensure you are not using adulterated oils on your skin. What goes on your skin, goes into your body.
- If you do not have a double boiler, melt the ingredients in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Do not directly melt the ingredients in the pot as they can melt inconsistently and burn.
- Use Organic Coconut oil and Shea butter. I recommend this Shea butter.
- Double or triple this recipe to use as homemade gifts for Christmas.
- Store in a cool dark place, keep out of the heat.
- Citrus Oils are photosensitive, so stay out of direct sun light one hour after applying the body butter.
- When stored properly, this recipe is best used within 1 year.
- Medium glass bowl
- Small pot
- Spatula or Wooden spoon
- 8oz Storage container
Shea Body Butter All Natural DIY Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Raw Shea Butter
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 10-20 drops of Wild Orange Essential Oil
How to make Shea Body Butter All Natural DIY Recipe
Boil about a cup of water in a small pot over medium to high heat.
In a medium glass bowl add Shea butter and Coconut Oil.
Once the water is boiling, place the glass bowl over the pot and allow the ingredients to melt.
Once the butter and oil are completely melted, turn off the burner and allow the ingredients to cool slightly. Add Essential Oil to the mixture.
Carefully pour the mixture into a storage container. Take precautions with hot pads to hold the bowl and pour slowly.
Allow to fully cool prior to placing the lid on the storage container.
Enjoy within 1 year!
For all of your Essential Oil DIY supplies, educational, and storage needs, check out Oil Life. Be sure to enter in code OILS5 at checkout to enjoy $5 off your purchase of $25 or more!
Leave a comment below with your favorite Essential Oils to use in DIY natural recipes!
More DIY recipes from My Abiding Home:
- Simple Hand Soap Recipe with Essential Oils
- How To Make Body and Face Cream with Tallow
- How To Make A Beeswax Wrap DIY
Shea Body Butter All Natural DIY Recipe
- Small pot
- Medium glass bowl
- Storage container
- Funnel, optional
- ½ Cup Organic Shea Butter
- ¼ Cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 10-20 drop Wild Orange Essential Oil or other CPTG EO of choice
- Fill pot with about 2 cups of water and place over medium heat.
- Place Shea butter and Coconut Oil in glass bowl.
- Place bowl over pot to create "double boiler" to melt the ingredients.
- Once the oil and butter are completely melted, remove bowl from heat. Use a pot holder to do so, as the bowl will be hot.
- Add essential oil of choice to the mixture.
- Carefully pour into a storage jar. Place a lid on the jar and allow to firm up in the fridge about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy within 1 year!