Shea moisturizing DIY body butter recipe utilizes Essential Oils and Shea butter to keep your skin hydrated through the year. This is a must have recipe, especially for the Winter Season.
This post may include affiliate links. As an Oil Life affiliate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
This Winter season has consisted of inside projects and a lot of family time. A project I currently am wrapping up is completely re-doing the coffee station.
We took an old Cherry stained desk we were using for station and sanded it town. Once we sanded all of the existing Cherry stain off, we painted it with milk paint. Aviary is the color we chose to paint it and left the top portion of the desk raw wood. Check out Miss Mustard Seed’s post on the milk paint she created.
Linseed oil will be used to finish the top and we used Miss Mustard Seed’s matte furniture polish for the rest. After it’s all sealed, I will be sewing a decorative curtain for it and getting some cute baskets to put in the sliding drawers. The finishing touch will be to add a simple shelf or two above it to keep the coffee making equipment out of children’s reach.
The snow has mostly melted here in Idaho, but some is still present due to the biting cold. While I am enjoying the extra time cozied up by the fire with my boys, and inside projects, I surely cannot wait for Summer to return. My heart is longing for Springtime so I can begin planning and planting the garden. I hope to achieve big things in our outdoor space this year.
During Wintertime my skin suffers so bad. My hands tend to crack and bleed if I don’t give them some extra TLC. This homemade body butter recipe is perfect for the Winter months. It is quick and simple for even the beginner DIY person. To make it, you only need a few staple ingredients.
Save it for later!
Why use Essential Oils in homemade body butter?
The addition of CPTG Essential Oils adds wonderful benefits to your skin. I love using Wild Orange for the fresh and uplifting scent it gives to brighten up the Winter season. This recipe would also be relaxing when Lavender would be added instead of Wild Orange.
In addition to creating a wonderful aroma, adding Essential Oils to this homemade body butter recipe has health benefits as well. Wild Orange is a great oil to use to help with anxiety and feelings of stress.
DIY Shea Body Butter Tips
- Use CPTG Essential Oils in this recipe to ensure you are not using adulterated oils on your skin. What goes on your skin, goes into your body.
- If you do not have a double boiler, melt the ingredients in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Do not directly melt the ingredients in the pot as they can melt inconsistently and burn.
- Use Organic Coconut oil and Shea butter. I recommend this Shea butter.
- Double or triple this recipe to use as homemade gifts for Christmas.
- Store in a cool dark place, keep out of the heat.
- Citrus Oils are photosensitive, so stay out of direct sun light one hour after applying the body butter.
- When stored properly, this recipe is best used within 1 year.
- Medium glass bowl
- Small pot
- Spatula or Wooden spoon
- 8oz Storage container
Shea Body Butter All Natural DIY Ingredients
- 1/2 Cup Raw Shea Butter
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 10-20 drops of Wild Orange Essential Oil
How to make Shea Body Butter All Natural DIY Recipe
Boil about a cup of water in a small pot over medium to high heat.
In a medium glass bowl add Shea butter and Coconut Oil.
Once the water is boiling, place the glass bowl over the pot and allow the ingredients to melt.
Once the butter and oil are completely melted, turn off the burner and allow the ingredients to cool slightly. Add Essential Oil to the mixture.
Carefully pour the mixture into a storage container. Take precautions with hot pads to hold the bowl and pour slowly.
Allow to fully cool prior to placing the lid on the storage container.
Enjoy within 1 year!
For all of your Essential Oil DIY supplies, educational, and storage needs, check out Oil Life. Be sure to enter in code OILS5 at checkout to enjoy $5 off your purchase of $25 or more!
Leave a comment below with your favorite Essential Oils to use in DIY recipes!
More DIY recipes from My Abiding Home:
- How to Dehydrate Oranges For Decorations
- How to Sew a Kitchen Tea Towel
- Oven Mitts Easy DIY Sewing Tutorial
Shea Body Butter All Natural DIY Recipe
- Small pot
- Medium glass bowl
- Storage container
- Funnel, optional
- ½ Cup Organic Shea Butter
- ¼ Cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 10-20 drop Wild Orange Essential Oil or other CPTG EO of choice
- Fill pot with about 2 cups of water and place over medium heat.
- Place Shea butter and Coconut Oil in glass bowl.
- Place bowl over pot to create "double boiler" to melt the ingredients.
- Once the oil and butter are completely melted, remove bowl from heat. Use a pot holder to do so, as the bowl will be hot.
- Add essential oil of choice to the mixture.
- Carefully pour into a storage jar. Place a lid on the jar and allow to firm up in the fridge about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy within 1 year!