Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza is simple enough for a quick mid-week meal. The whole family will love this simple recipe, including the kids!
What is Cheeseburger Pizza?
Cheeseburger Pizza is essentially the ingredients you would find on a burger, but in pizza form. You could also customize this recipe to leave out ingredients that your family doesn’t enjoy, or add ones they do. My boys LOVE olives so we add those as a topping and it’s a delicious addition.
How this recipe became a staple in my home
This recipe idea came from my husband’s grandmother. They would buy pre-made pizza crust and sauce from the store, brown some burger, and add veggies to create this dish. It’s one of my husbands favorite simple meals.
I simply re-created this family favorite meal to suit our diet. We are a “from scratch” kind of family. So, naturally, I had to first create a delicious homemade pizza sauce. That recipe will be coming to the blog soon so keep your eyes peeled for that.
Another thing we do in our home is utilize our sourdough starter as much as possible. I love the easy digestibility of fermented grains and the flavor it adds to any dish. It’s the way traditional bread was made and getting back to those roots is so satisfying for one woman who strives to serve her family well.
How to make Sourdough Pizza Crust
Sourdough Pizza crust couldn’t be any simpler. All you have to do is pour the desired amount of sourdough starter onto a hot pizza stone and add whatever seasonings you desire.
Then, just throw it in the oven to bake for about ten minutes! The key to making sure it doesn’t stick is to have the pizza stone pre-heated before you pour the starter on it. A drizzle of Olive Oil can be added to the Stone prior to pouring the sourdough starter on it as well. Doing so can also aid in making sure your crust doesn’t stick.
Make the crust ahead of time and freeze or make it fresh while you are cooking the toppings. This crust will freeze well for up to 3 months.
- Be sure your pizza stone or cast iron skillet is preheated enough prior to making the crust.
- I recommend homemade pizza sauce, but store-bought Organic Pizza Sauce will also work
- Buy a block of Organic Mozzarella Cheese and shred it yourself. If you have a Kitchen Aid attachment for this it makes quick work of the task. I prefer to shred my own for a couple of reasons. One of which is that the pre-shredded cheeses contain an anti-caking agent.
- Use grass-fed and finished beef for optimal health benefits
- If making your own sauce, I recommend using a small stainless steel pot. Aluminum can leak into your food as the pot is heated so I do not recommend using any dish with aluminum for cooking purposes.
Equipment you may need
- 14″ Pizza stone our Cast Iron skillet
- Pizza cutter
- Cheese shredder, I recommend the Kitchen Aid shredder attachment if you have one
- Wooden spoon or Spatula
- Stainless Steel sauce pan, if you are making Homemade Pizza Sauce
How to make Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place either your pizza stone or cast iron skillet in the oven to pre-heat.
In a cast iron skillet, Brown the burger.
Mince the garlic and add it to the burger to brown during the last few minutes.
Once browned, scoop the meat and garlic into a fine mesh strainer, over a bowl. This will help drain extra grease while you sauté the veggies.
Chop up the onion and bell pepper. Set aside for assembly step.
Assembling the Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza
To the cooked Sourdough crust in a preheated 14″ skillet or stone, add about 1/4 -1/2 cup of pizza sauce. Spread around with a spatula or wooden spoon until a thin layer is created.
Shred the cheese and sprinkle evenly over the entire crust.
Add desired amount of cooked ground beef and veggies to the entire crust.
Add any other desired toppings, such as sliced olives or mushrooms.
Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Once cooked, slice with a pizza cutter and enjoy!
Additional topping ideas
- Green or Red Onions
What pairs well with Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza?
This Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza would go well with a side salad. To make this meal even more filling add homemade breadsticks (recipe coming soon to the blog).
Another side option would be to have this meal along-side nachos or homemade fries. This would make a great meal for a fun family movie night!
If you try this recipe and love it, I’d be grateful if you gave it five stars!
More recipes from My abiding home:
Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza From Scratch
- Cast Iron Skillet or Pizza Stone
- Pizza Cutter
- Cutting board
- Kitchen Aid Slicer/Shredder attachment (Optional)
- Small Stainless Steel Pot (Optional)
- Wooden spoon (Optional)
- 1 Green bell pepper Organic preferred
- ½ Medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 lb. Ground beef Grass fed and finished preferred
- 1 Cup Pizza sauce Homemade preferred
- 1-2 Sourdough Pizza crusts Cooked
- 10oz block Mozzarella cheese Organic preferred
Sourdough Pizza Crust
- 1-2 Cup Sourdough starter Can use discard. Pour and spread to desired crust thickness
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil To drizzle on hot stone or skillet prior to pouring starter on to bake
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 15 oz. Can Organic Tomato Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
Sourdough Pizza crust instructions
- Place pizza stone or Cast Iron Skillet in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Drizzle Olive Oil on hot stone or skillet.
- Pour ½-1 Cup of Sourdough Starter onto hot pizza stone or skillet. Spread around with spatula until you've created an even crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Homemade Pizza sauce instructions
- Add can of tomato sauce to a small stainless steel sauce pan
- Once simmering, add Italian Seasoning and Salt.
- Simmer for 5 minutes to integrate seasonings.
- Set aside until pizza assembly.
Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza From Scratch instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While Sourdough crust is cooking, dice onion and bell pepper. Set aside.
- While Sourdough crust is cooking, brown ground beef with minced garlic.
- To cooked Sourdough crust, add about ½ cup of pizza sauce. Spread evenly.
- Shred Mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the crust with sauce
- Sprinkle bell pepper, onion, and beef with garlic over entire pizza.
- Add any additional toppings.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on crust thickness.
- Slice Pizza with Pizza cutter and Enjoy!