Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza is simple enough for a quick mid-week meal. The whole family will love this recipe, including the kids! It’s two favorite meals combined into one. Follow along for the recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I may make a small commission on qualifying purchases at no cost to you. Please find my full disclosure on the main menu.
What Is Cheeseburger Pizza?
Cheeseburger Pizza is simply just cheese and burger on a pizza. We typically add some bell peppers and onions to keep it pretty basic but still with some veggies. You could also customize this recipe to leave out ingredients that your family doesn’t enjoy, or add ones they do. My boys LOVE olives so we add those as a topping when we have them on hand and it’s a delicious addition.
How This Recipe Became A Staple In My Home
This recipe idea came from my husband’s grandmother. They would buy pre-made pizza crust and sauce from the store, brown some burger, and add veggies to create this dish. It’s one of my husbands favorite simple meals.
I simply re-created this family favorite meal to suit our diet of incorporating fermented foods. Sourdough crust adds the nutrition and flavor to take this already yummy pizza up a notch. I try to incorporate my sourdough starter into as many meals as possible. I love the digestibility of fermented grains as well as the added tang. This is a natural way to leaven bread. I love getting back to the traditional roots in, in my recipes especially. It is so satisfying for me to incorporate this type of food into our diets to serve my family well.
We are a “from scratch” kind of family. So, naturally, I had to first create a delicious homemade pizza sauce. I usually just throw some diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and some seasonings into a blender and pulse a few times. I will probably eventually make an actual recipe post for the sauce, so stay tuned for that.
Equipment you may need
- 12 or 14″ Pizza stone or Cast Iron skillet
- Pizza cutter
- Cheese shredder, I recommend the Kitchen Aid Shredder Attachment (my plastic attachment broke pretty easily, so I recommend Stainless Steel)
- Wooden spoon or Spatula
- Cutting board
Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza Ingredients
- Sourdough starter, inactive is fine to use
- Olive Oil
- 1 lb ground beef, grass-fed preferred
- Desired veggies (onions, bell peppers, and olives is what we typically do)
Homemade Pizza Sauce Ingredients
- 16oz can Diced tomatoes
- 2-3 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Olive oil
- Honey or Organic Maple Syrup
How To Make A Simple Pizza Crust with Sourdough Discard
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large skillet inside the oven to preheat.
Once preheated, drizzle some Olive Oil on the skillet. Use a spatula to coat the entire inside of the skillet with oil.
Pour in sourdough discard, about 1 cup, and smear crust up the sides of the skillet to create a ledge.
Sprinkle with Sea Salt and optional Italian Seasonings, drizzle with 1 Tbsp of Olive oil.
Bake for 10 minutes.
Making and Adding The Sauce
Combine all ingredients, besides the oil and garlic cloves, into a blender.
To a hot skillet, add olive oil and garlic cloves. Saute’ for 30 seconds, or until aromatic. Remove from heat and let cool for a couple of minutes. Add to blender.
Pulse all ingredients until it reaches desired consistency. Strain any excess liquid through a muslin lined fine-mesh strainer for more crispy crust.
Assembling The Pizza and Baking
To assemble the pizza pour about 1/4-1/2 cup of sauce onto cooked crust. Spread evenly with back of a spoon.
Shred the cheese. Add about 1 cup, or desired amount to pizza and sprinkle around evenly. We typically use raw, sharp cheddar cheese because that’s what we keep on hand. We do also love it with mozzarella cheese as well, if that’s your cheese of choice.
Sprinkle ground beef and desired veggies evenly around the pizza.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Additional topping ideas
- Green or Red Onions
Preparation and Preservation Tips
- Be sure your pizza stone or cast iron skillet is preheated enough prior to making the crust, or else it will stick and you’ll be sad.
- I recommend homemade pizza sauce, but store-bought Pizza Sauce will also work
- Always buy cheese in a block and shred it yourself. The texture is better this way, plus you can avoid anti-caking agents. Shred cheese. If you have a Kitchen Aid Shredder Attachment, it seriously makes quick work of the task.
- Use grass-fed and finished beef for optimal health benefits
- Freeze your extra sauce in a glass container to have on hand for the next quick, cheeseburger pizza meal you whip up!
What pairs well with Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza?
Salad pairs well with this pizza if it’s in season. If you want to be extra fancy or make this meal extra filling, try making some homemade garlic parmesan Sourdough breadsticks to accompany this meal.
If you try this recipe and love it, I’d be grateful if you gave it five stars!
More wholesome recipes from My abiding home:
- The Best Crowd Pleaser Cookies
- The Best Orange Cranberry Scones with Essential Oils
- Easy Sourdough Bread Loaf Recipe | Perfect Sandwich Bread
- How To Make Cream Cheese with Raw Milk
The Best Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza
- Cast Iron Skillet or Pizza Stone
- Pizza Cutter
- Cutting board
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Shredder attachment optional
- Small Cast Iron Skillet for saute'ing garlic for homemade pizza sauce
- 1 Green bell pepper Organic preferred
- ½ Medium yellow onion or green onions
- 1 lb. Ground beef, cooked Grass fed and finished preferred
- 1 Cup Pizza sauce recipe below
- 2-4 Cups Sourdough starter active or discard can be used
- 1-2 Cups Cheese sharp cheddar or mozzarella preferred
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 16 oz. Diced tomatoes Organic preferred, non-BPA lining
- 2-3 Tbsp. Tomato paste Organic preferred, non-BPA lining
- 1-2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil for saute'ing garlic
- 1 tsp. Salt high quality
- 1 tsp. Honey or Organic Maple Syrup Raw, local honey preferred
Sourdough Pizza crust instructions
- Place pizza stone or Cast Iron Skillet in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Drizzle Olive Oil on hot stone or skillet.
- Pour about 1 Cup of Sourdough Starter onto hot pizza stone or skillet. Spread around with spatula until you've created an even crust. Use spatula to spread crust up the sides of the skillet, if using.
- Sprinkle with Sea Salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Homemade Pizza sauce instructions
- Heat a small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Drizzle with olive oil, add garlic cloves and saute' until aromatic. This will take about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add garlic and oil to a blender. Add remaining ingredients. Pulse until it reaches desired consistency.
- *Optional: Strain off any excess liquid from the sauce, through a fine-mesh strainer, to keep your pizza crust more crispy.
Sourdough Cheeseburger Pizza Instructions
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup of pizza sauce to cooked crust, spread around with the back of a spoon.
- Shred cheese, if needed. Sprinkle evenly on pizza.
- Add ground beef and diced veggies.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until cheese is melted and crust is slightly browned.
- Be sure to remove any excess liquid from sauce for a crispier crust.
- I love my Kitchen Aid Stainless Steel slicer/ shredder attachment, if you have a kitchen aid mixer this attachment would serve you well.