Strawberry Rhubarb Sourdough skillet combines sweet and sour flavors to create the most delicious dessert! Sweetened with honey only, you can feel good about eating this recipe.
I love having skillet recipes in my back pocket to make baking quick and simple. It’s so nice to be able to both prepare and cook an entire recipe in the same dish for easy cleanup.
Strawberries have been on my mind recently. If you haven’t noticed, I recently posted my recipe for homemade Sourdough Berry Pop Tarts, which you HAVE to try. In addition, I’m sure I’ll be sharing more strawberry recipes with you soon since we have a June baring strawberry patch to reap fruit from in a couple of months! Bottom line is, you can’t go wrong with Strawberries.
I had a neighbor give us some fresh Rhubarb from her garden last year. I froze it and didn’t get around to using it because I didn’t know much about it. Aside from trying it last year, I think I’ve only eaten it once in jam as a child. I’m here to tell you that rhubarb is a hidden gem. If you can get your hands on some or grow it yourself, it makes a great compliment for any fruit recipe. Rhubarb adds a tart flavor to the dish as well as plenty of vitamins that your body needs to function properly.
What is a “skillet”?
I define a skillet dish as anything that is baked together in a Cast Iron skillet, like Sourdough Eggs Benedict Casserole. I simply just call any dish that has a filling and is topped with Sourdough goodness, a skillet recipe.
Surprisingly Rhubarb is actually a vegetable, not a fruit, though it’s often mistaken as such. This is a vegetable that isn’t really eaten raw because of it’s sour taste. It is great to be used in things like pies or crumbles, where it is cooked with a sugar and/or other ingredients.
Vitamin K1 and fiber a couple of nutrients that are found in high amounts in Rhubarb. In some parts of the world, Rhubarb is used in Chinese medicine. Rhubarb is also a great source of antioxidants.
One caution to take is to be aware of how much Rhubarb you consume. Rhubarb is high in oxalate which has been known to be toxic to some who experience kidney stones. If this isn’t you, then I’d encourage you to give a recipe a little Rhubarb to add a unique, sour taste.
Supplies you need to make this skillet dessert
- 12 or 14 inch Cast Iron Skillet
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
Strawberry Rhubarb Sourdough Skillet Ingredients
- Butter, grass-fed preferred
- Organic Strawberries, frozen or fresh
- Organic Rhubarb, frozen or fresh
- Raw Honey, local preferred
- Sourdough starter
- Baking powder
- Eggs, pastured preferred
How To Make Strawberry Rhubarb Sourdough Skillet
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Chop Strawberries and Rhubarb into chunks, set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add butter. Add chopped Strawberries, Rhubarb, and honey to the hot skillet. Sauté for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, add remaining ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine.
Add Sourdough mixture to the skillet and swirl it into the berry-rhubarb mixture, gently.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Serve alongside some fresh, Vanilla ice cream for best results!
If you try this recipe and love it, I’d love for you to give it 5 stars!
More wholesome recipes from My Abiding Home:
- The Best Crowd Pleaser Cookies
- Sourdough Einkorn Crust Simple Recipe
- The Best Eggs Benedict Skillet Recipe
The Best Strawberry Rhubarb Sourdough Skillet
- Cutting board
- 12" Cast Iron Skillet
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- 1 Tbsp. Butter Grass-fed preferred
- 2 Cups Strawberries Fresh or Frozen, Organic preferred
- ½-1 Cup Rhubarb Fresh or Frozen, Organic preferred
- ¼ Cup Raw Honey local preferred
- 1 Cup Sourdough Starter inactive is fine
- 2 Eggs Pastured preferred
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1½ Baking Powder
- ¼ Nutmeg optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut Rhubarb and Strawberries in half.
- Heat a Cast Iron skillet over low to medium heat.
- Add butter to skillet. Add chopped Rhubarb and berries to the skillet along with honey. Saute' for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Preparing the Soudough mixture
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Pour overtop the skillet mixture and gently swirl.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve alongside some fresh, Vanilla ice cream, while warm for best results!